Honduran Flag

Honduran Flag

Sunday, 3 August 2014

9 days to go!

9 days to go and Iv'e still got a lot of preparing to do!

Time has gone so fast since January and it still doesn't seem real. My project has been confirmed and I will be volunteering in the 'Los Angeles programme' in Valle de Angeles, about 30 minutes away from the capital, Tegucigalpa.

It's a centre for children and young people with disabilities. Their mission statement is: "We are a programme that satisfies the need of a comprehensive care and inclusion for people with disabilities in situations of abandonment, generating a family atmosphere with security, health, rehabilitation and education" Their vision is to become a model programme in comprehensive care and inclusion for people with disabilities, promoting rights based active inclusion in society according to their abilities. They put an emphasis on not just caring for the residents but ensuring they have a happy and fulfilled life, giving them the opportunities to learn life skills. They also develop a life plan for each individual, focusing on what they could achieve with the right support.
I'm really looking forward to starting my placement.

I will be living in the accommodation the project provides with the potential to stay with a family at the weekends. This will give me a great opportunity to get to know the staff at the project better.

With 9 days to go I still have to figure out what I'm going to pack, buy the essentials and make sure everything's tidy for my return. I still have some fundraising to do too so if anyone wants to support me and the work ICYE does there's still time. :) https://www.justgiving.com/Naomi-High1/

No comments:

Post a Comment